In order to heal your headaches, it helps to know what type of headache you are suffering from and then look for the underlying cause. The office of Dayton Hart DMD seeks to give patients a greater understanding of their headaches, so they can know the best way to treat them.
The following are different headache types and their correlating symptoms:
- Typically characterized by intense, throbbing pain on one side of the head
- Nausea and sensitivity to light made worse through physical activity
- Some migraine sufferers experience visual disturbances
- Can last from 4 to 72 hours
- The most common type of headache
- Often manifests as a feeling of extreme tightness or pressure in a band that wraps from the forehead to the back of the head and sometimes the neck, with some mild pain on the sides of the head
- Typically lasts a few hours but can remain for several days
- Least common type of headache
- Pain is severe on one side of the head
- Intense pain around the eye, as well as occasional redness and tearing
Medication Overuse Headache (Rebound Headaches)
- Results from daily use of medication for chronic headaches and usually occurs in the morning
- Headaches may subside when more medication is taken, but return immediately as soon as it wears off
- Nausea, listlessness, restlessness, and irritability
It is important to remember that the underlying cause for headaches is often not just one factor. There is typically no single trigger. Some external factors that might be causing your headaches include alcohol or caffeine, hormonal changes, stress, certain foods, and changes in routine or environment. You jaw might also be the cause of your headaches. If the pressure created when you bite down is not perfectly balanced it can throw your jaw muscles, tendons, nerves, and ligament into disarray, leading to head pain.
If you have any question about the different types of headaches and the underlying causes, we invite you to contact our office at 251-943-2471 to schedule your TruDenta® consultation in Foley, Alabama, with our knowledgeable dentist.